A good friend of mine once said “I cannot believe you made it to 25 without a copy of the “Joy of Cooking” Boy was she right. In my house growing up the staple cookbook for everything was the Joy of Cooking. My mom used it for so many recipes and methods. And when she wasn’t around and one of us kids was making dinner or baking we would rely on it for any questions we might have. When I moved out of my parent’s home I was constantly phoning my mom and asking her to look things up for me or give me recipes over the phone. For every birthday and Christmas I would ask for a copy of the Joy of Cooking sadly I never received this precious gift until my 25th birthday.
On my birthday I did not receive one copy but three copies! One from my loving boyfriend, one from my mom and one from my good friend Susan! I thought it was the funniest thing ever… here I was lacking the Joy of Cooking… then I was over “joyed” with three copies. I ended up keeping Susan’s copy and returning my mom’s and Boyfriend’s copies.
Since that time my Joy of Cooking has been well used… I recently participated in Sketched Soul’s cupcake swap. In my package I included a recipe for Peanut Butter Cupcakes with Chocolate Satin Frosting. Today I share with you too!
Peanut Butter Cupcakes
18 regular cupcakes / 350 degree oven
1 ¼ cups all purpose flour
¾ cup packed brown sugar
½ teaspoon salt
¾ cup milk
1/3 cup milk
1/3 cup peanut butter
1 large Egg
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
¾ cup semi sweet chocolate chips
1. Combine all ingredients in a food processor and pulse for a few seconds to mix.
2. Scrape the sides of the mixer and then pulse until batter is smooth..
3. Scoop into cupcake cups and bake at 350 F for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Chocolate Satin Frosting
6 oz unsweetened chocolate
1 cup evaporated milk or heavy cream
½ cup sugar
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Break chocolate into pieces
2. In a small saucepan bring milk or cream to a boil.
3. Remove saucepan from heat and add chocolate without stirring.
4. Cover and set aside for 1 minute.
5. Pour mixture into food processor or blender and add sugar, butter and vanilla.
6. Blend until mixture is perfectly smooth 1 minute or more.
7. Transfer to a bowl and set aside for a few minutes until the desired consistency is reached