My Fiancée’s mom showed me how to make this dish and I’m sure I don’t do it the same way she does… but the result is very yummy none the less. I serve this as a side dish to Lamb or Chicken curry.
2 Tablespoons of vegetable oil
¼ teaspoon anise seeds
¼ teaspoon fenugreek seeds
¼ teaspoon fennel seeds
¼ teaspoon black mustard seeds
2 green cardamom pods – cracked open
1 small onion – diced
1can Jack Fruit – drained and chopped roughly in ½ inch cubes
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 teaspoon Garam Masala
¼ teaspoon chili powder – more if you like it really spicy
½ a red pepper – diced
1 medium tomato – chopped roughly in ½ inch cubes
Cilantro – Chopped
1. Heat oil in deep frying pan or large pot
2. Add all seeds and cardamom pods. Fry until the seeds start to pop
3. Then add the onions and fry until golden brown
4. Add Jack Fruit, spices and red pepper. Fry for about 5 minutes until the jack fruit is warmed through. I find that this during this part the mixture can seem quite dry. Don’t worry! just make sure you are stirring.
5. Add the tomato and salt to taste (if desired)
6. Now here is where you can adjust the consistency. If your tomato is not very juicy you may want to add a bit of water to increase the sauciness of the dish. Or if you like it dryer just add a tiny bit of water to steam the Jack Fruit and vegetables
7. Top with chopped cilantro and serve over rice… or my favorite with naan.